Functional ingredients are essential in the manufacture of confectionary items including ice cream, sweet, jellies and jams. These products are often manufactured in vast quantities and have very long shelf lives. At MegaChem (UK), we provide a range of functional ingredients for use in confectionary items including:
- Acids – Acids and acidulants are most commonly used to create different flavour profiles within products, they may also be used as a natural.
- Antioxidants – Produced in human bodies and found in foods they help defend your cells from damage caused by harmful molecules know as free radicals. Used in confectionary offering shelf life extension keeping food fresher for longer.
- Beta Carotene – Extracted from plants and fruits and is a natural food colouring.
- Bulking agents – Bulking agents are used to increase the mass or volume of confectionary products without the need for natural sugars.
- Emulsifiers – Emulsifiers are used in confectionery products to promote greater product stability, something that’s essential for consistent quality in industrial food manufacture.
- Extracts – Extracts are used to provide flavouring to the many different variations of sweets, ice creams, jellies and jams that are available.
- Lycopene – As well as being a powerful antioxidant extracted from tomatoes it has the added benefit as a vegan colouring agent replacing Carmine made from Cochineal (beetles).
- Preservatives – Preservatives are what keeps the shelf life of confectionary products so long.
- Stabilisers – Stabilisers are added to products to improve stability, heat resistance, stiffness and more. For example, in jellies, jams and sweets, stabilisers are used to thicken the product without making them stiff or hard.
- Others – Other Functional Ingredients we supply that are commonly used in confectionery manufacture include aroma chemicals, vanillin, glycerine and more.
Functional ingredients for confectionary manufacture
If you’re running a commercial manufacturing operation for ice creams, sweets, jellies and jams, our products can help improve efficiency and product quality. To find out more or request a sample, call one of our expert team on +44 (0) 1291 422747 or fill out a contact form and we’ll get back to you.